Sunday, February 7, 2010

Is it okay to use clear address labels for wedding invitations?

I am on a tight budget and have printed out some lovely invitations myself, however I'm not sure I buy into the ';invitations MUST be handwritten'; rule. I found some clear address labels and tried printing out a sample in a nice script font and it looked very nice. Will this be a major no-no? I really think my handwriting looks worse on such a pretty invitation!Is it okay to use clear address labels for wedding invitations?
No there is no problem with clear labels. If you handwriting is that bad I say go for it. The rules that say the ';invitation must be handwritten'; is more of a guide line. I used labels 10 years ago on mine.Is it okay to use clear address labels for wedding invitations?
If your cursive is bad, simply print. But it has to be handwritten -- printed labels are very tacky, because an invitation to a wedding is supposed to be THE most personal invitation one ever sends, therefore it needs a personal touch.





If your writing is that bad, ask someone to lend you a hand -- literally. :-)





Oh, and script fonts should never be used for address labels -- they make it difficult for the Postal Service to read/decipher.
Have you tried printing the addresses directly onto the envelopes? It takes a bit more time to do but definitely not as much time as it would to hand address them but would look better than using labels.





My handwriting looks like a chicken on crack because I've been typing for decades now so I understand why you might not want to hand write them, I really admire people who have lovely handwriting but I'm definitely not one of them...lol...





Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, I'm sure with the care you're putting into planning and details it will be lovely!
Realistically:


- the envelopes are thrown away anyway


- if someone makes a case about this, they shouldn't come to the wedding


- I'd much rather receive something in the mail that's readable than something that's handwritten and the post office had to hire a private detective to figure out who it's addressed to.





In other words...go for it.
My sister in law printed address labels in cursive/script font so it's looks like handwriting for her wedding invites.





For me, I would invite a couple of my friends and/or family over for snacks/refreshments and ask them to help me out addressing my wedding invites.
I (and I'm sure the post office) would rather see an invitation CLEARLY addressed than handwritten. And while your invitations are important, they should not stress you out. Do what you wish, and remember that the envelope will probably be thrown out after the RSVP is mailed back to you.
Go ahead with the printed labels, especially if you think your own handwriting will worsen it (I have terrible handwriting myself). I would like to add the suggestion of using a more decorative font for the labels.
Yes, it's OK. Most DIY wedding invitiation CD kits actually have an envelope printing program or clear labels in the kits as well, so if you've found something that works and look nice, do it.
Do you want a tacky wedding? Of course not. Your invitations should be as classy as your wedding is. Get a few friends or family to help and handwrite the envelopes.
If you can't handwrite them neatly yourself ask a friend or relative to handwrite the envelopes for you ... even in this comuter age, stick-on labels for wedding invitations is icky!
I think you should write them by hand. My friend once threw an invitation addressing party - a little wine, some snacks, and we all addressed her invitations. It only took a couple hours.
My mother used clear labels.. Just be sure there is no lint or dust around. Once it gets on the adhesive, its IMPOSSIBLE to get off and your guests may get an eyelash or piece of lint with their invite!





Congrats!
Seriously, who made this rule? Use the clear stamps, nobody really gives a $hit. If they do, they need to get a life.
I believe that it is acceptable to use printed labels OR to run them through the printer yourself.
Its your wedding!! So I really think that anything you want to do is absolutley fine!! Ignore anyone who says otherwise!!


The less you spend on the invites the more you have for other things!
Very Tacky!
Clear labels are fine. Choose a nice font that is easy to read.
Go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment