Sunday, February 7, 2010

Why did you use clear address labels on your wedding invitations?

Anyone who is familiar with my answers knows that I am against address labels-- period.





But I just have to know, from those of you who think that clear labels are better than regular ones, why? By my way of thinking, the clear labels are just as bad (or worse) because they are plastic and shiny.





Alright... I know my question is nit-picky. But Im just curious. What is your rationale with this?Why did you use clear address labels on your wedding invitations?
I used clear address labels because it looked less tacky, it looked like the writing was printed or stamped right on the envelope, rather than being bordered in white like junk mail sent to ';dear occupant';... I used a matte-finished label, so it wasn't plastic/shiny looking.





I didn't hand write the addresses mainly because - My handwriting sucks. Also, after proof-reading and organizing my guest list and addresses on the computer, it was the best way to avoid any mistakes on the actual envelopes.Why did you use clear address labels on your wedding invitations?
I addressed all my invitations by hand, but on the reply card envelope I put clear labels stating my address. I chose clear labels because my envelopes were a creamy color and that way the labels blended in better with the envelopes. And the labels were high-end, so they weren't ';plastic and shiny'; as you put them. It was barely noticeable, unless you looked hard.





I don't think they looked bad at all (and I can be a pretty picky person), but that's my opinion.
I didn't use address labels, I put the size of my envelope into Word as the paper size and then typed the addresses for each envelope on a separate page (like each page was an envelope) and made it in pretty cursive font. Then I printed them on the envelope. Be sure you test this first before printing all of your envelopes. It took me a few tries, but it came out looking great. A lot of people thought I had someone professionally calligraphy them.





I agree that for a wedding invitation labels just look tacky.
We're probably going to go with either clear or colored labels. The white ones are very ';office supply store'; to me. I'm all for things that save me time (such as printing labels for my invites) but I don't want to use something that random junk mail senders use, such as white labels. And while I don't think anyone spends a nanosecond paying attention to what invitation envelopes look like (my friends and family have better things to do than that) for me it's an aesthetic thing.





That's my .02 anyway.
I plan on writing it all by hand, but I really don't get why this is such a big deal. I mean, really, who cares about an envelope that is going to be ripped apart and thrown away immediately? I know what etiquette books may say, but this is the real world where most people could not really care less about address labels. I wouldn't use them simply because it costs money/time to get them printed and I would rather just write them myself.





I say there are more important things to be ';against.';
I used white ones. I agree that the clear ones are worse, because they look plastic. Our envelopes wouldn't fit into the printer, so we'd have had to hand-address them. We're doing a very formal wedding, and after spending over a dollar an invitation, and far too much time, we weren't about to do something that messy and ruin the presentation.
Actually, I thinking writing all the addresses out are a bit nicer than labels, just because they took more time and looks like more thought went into it...there's nothing wrong with labels, they make it ssooo much easier for brides as far as another thing knocked off their list of to-do's. Maybe people like the clear ones more since it looks more like the person wrote it there themselves?
because clear = see through...which means they will be harder to see on the envalope.








and regardless of why anyone uses them, or what you think of them, we shouldnt have to justify it to you. i have 160 people to invite on my side alone. trying to use anything but address labels for my invites would cost a small fortune to get printed, and my hand would fall off if i tried to write them all.





plus, honestly, who saves the envalopes from wedding invites? i dont know a single person who has ever saved the envalope from a wedding invite
I see nothing wrong with using labels..white or clear, plastic..or whatever....it probably seems cheap to you..but really who cares about those little details..why obsessing so much about it...





I think if your wedding is supper formal and traditional then you would hand-write or get the envelope printed..which i think its very tedious and expensive..like someone else said..nobody keeps them anyway...





Ive read on the etiquette book that you are supposed to do that if you are having a very formal wedding. and its optional...Ive seen so many creative labels and i dont think they look bad...its very practical IMO
Oh Jeez, people, lighten up. She never asked to justify, simply to say why did you use them.





I did not use them because I paid a pretty penny for my invites and did not wanted to ruin them with a 10 cent sticky.





Now, I guess some people use them to save time? I really do not see other reason behing using labels. Let's see what other folks think.





Good luck
Although I did not use labels on my invites, why do people have to justify their use of them to you?
I've not gotten married yet, so I can't really say, but I plan to hand write the addresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment